Gas safety (carbon monoxide)

Gas safety (carbon monoxide)

We will arrange to carry out a service and safety check every year for each gas appliance owned by Newcastle City Council and you will be provided with a copy of the service sheet.

This annual check is compulsory by law and it is part of your Tenancy Agreement that access is made for repairs / servicing. For more information visit our gas services page.

 

Gas safety

Carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning affects everyone and these checks are to ensure your safety and the safe running of your gas appliances.

All work on gas appliances or fittings must be completed by a qualified engineer with Gas Safe Register accreditation. It is dangerous and illegal to carry out DIY work on gas appliances or fittings.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can kill or leave you hospitalised. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include tiredness, drowsiness, headache, nausea, pains in the chest and stomach pains.

If you or your family experience these symptoms and believe that carbon monoxide may be involved, you must seek urgent medical help.

There are some simple steps that can be taken in your home to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Never use a gas appliance if you think is it not working properly
  • Do not cover an appliance or block the air vents
  • Do not block or obstruct any ventilation grilles or air bricks
  • Never block or cover any outside flue
  • Regularly check carbon monoxide alarms

If you smell gas call 0800 111 999 immediately.

Need more information?

If you have any questions or concerns about the safety of your building or property, please let us know by emailing buildingsafety@yhn.org.uk or calling 0191 278 8600. In an emergency, such as a fire, you should call 999.

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?