You can report a repair to your home 24/7 over the phone, by email or online. 

Emergency repairs must be reported to us by calling 0191 278 7878.

My Account

The quickest way to report a non-emergency repair is to use 'my account' – it’s a really handy system and can be easily accessed with a computer, tablet or mobile phone.

The repairs section of my account provides lots of repair types to choose from and helps you to easily provide all of the information we need to book someone to attend to your repair.

Repairs & Construction Services. Your Homes Newcastle in partnership with Newcastle City Council


You can report a repair by emailing


You can report a repair by calling 0191 278 7878 or by using your intercom (multi-storey block residents).

Before you report a repair, you should ensure that the repair is not your responsibility.

If you wish us to carry out a repair that is your responsibility, or if you have damaged the property, you may be charged for the cost of the repair.

What are my repair responsibilities?

Under your tenancy agreement you should carry out minor works yourself, this includes:

  • Decorating the inside of your home
  • Replacing locks
  • Draught exclusion (provided the doors and windows fit reasonably)
  • Fitting extra catches and safety devices to doors and windows and installing burglar alarms
  • Door handles on doors inside your home
  • Plugs and chains in baths and sinks
  • Toilet seats and lids
  • Small cracks in plaster
  • Minor repairs to kitchen units
  • Fitting TV aerials or satellite dishes (subject to permission)
  • Supplying and fitting things like shower heads, toilet roll holders, towel rails, mirrors, curtain rails, light fittings, shelving, plugs, coat hooks, washing lines, rotary driers.

If you plan on making any changes to your home then you may need to contact us to request permission before work is carried out. For more information visit our page on making changes to your home.

What repairs can YHN carry out?

We can carry out both internal and external repairs to your home. These include:


  • Electrical, plumbing & gas faults
  • Plasterwork repairs
  • Bathroom and kitchen fitting repairs


  • Fence work
  • Brickwork repointing
  • Guttering
  • Roofing leaks
  • Door and window repairs

How long until my repair is carried out?

Under the right to repair scheme, there are 3 main categories of repair that we can carry out:

1. Routine (attended by appointment within 15 days)
Repairs which will not seriously interfere with the comfort and convenience of the resident, for example:

  • Repairs to plasterwork
  • Repairs to doors and windows
  • Repairs to bathroom and kitchen fittings
  • New sanitary fittings (bath, toilet and wash-hand basin)

2. Urgent  (attended by appointment within 1 - 7 days, depending on risk)
Repairs which seriously affect the comfort of the resident or cause potential damage to the property, for example:

  • Plumbing and drainage faults
  • Roof leaks
  • Majority of gas repairs
  • Partial loss of heating

3. Emergency (attended by appointment within same day)

Repairs which, if not attended to, could cause serious damage to the building/property or a high safety risk to health of the tenant, for example:

  • Gas leaks
  • Total electrical failure
  • Total heating failure (winter)
  • Burst pipes
  • Making the property safe after storm damage

Will I be charged for a repair?

You will only be charged for a repair if you cause damage to your property or breach your tenancy agreement, for example:

  • A lock change for when you are unable to gain access (i.e. lost keys)
  • Clearance of property after you vacate if furniture or rubbish is left behind
  • Any internal damage to fixtures and fittings

This will be arranged through your YHN Housing Services office and an invoice will be sent out. 

Repair service feedback

If you would like to make a complaint or give a compliment about our repair service, please visit our contact us page.

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?