Equality is about making sure that everyone has the same opportunities to achieve the same or similar outcomes. It is not about treating ‘everyone the same’ but recognising that ‘one size doesn’t fit all’ and that services should be tailored to meet individual needs.
Diversity is about respecting, valuing and celebrating people’s differences.
Inclusion is about making sure that people feel comfortable to be themselves, that they belong and can reach their full potential without disadvantage or discrimination.
We want to be an organisation where equality, diversity and inclusion is part of who we are and how we work. We will:
- treat everybody fairly, with dignity and respect
- be tolerant, understanding and not judge others
- comply with our legal and regulatory equality duties, not just because we have to but because it is the right thing to do and good for our organisation
- take strong action against discrimination, bullying, harassment and hate crime and provide support to customers and staff who experience it
- deliver appropriate, accessible and responsive services
- get to know our customers so we can shape services to meet their needs
- build an inclusive and supportive workplace where every-one can bring their whole self to work and succeed in being their best
- consider how the decisions we make impact on equality, diversity and inclusion
- promote equality, diversity and inclusion with our customers, suppliers, partners and other organisations who we work with.
It supports our EDI Strategy which identifies our equality objectives and the action we will take to achieve them.