For the latest customer information on Coronavirus (COVID-19) click here. We are currently experiencing high call volume.
To help keep our lines free for emergencies, please get in touch using our contact us form

If you are suffering from abuse or neglect, or have concerns about someone else, you can report it by speaking directly to your Tenancy and Estates Officer

Alternatively you can contact Community Health and Social Care Direct:
Between 8am – 5pm 0191 278 8377
Out of these hours call: 0191 278 7878

In an emergency you should always call 999.

  • How do I know if abuse is taking place?

    Abuse can happen anywhere. It can take place in a person's own home, in a residential or nursing home, a hospital, day centre or in the street.

    Abuse is never ok. If you, or someone you know is being abused, it is important to tell someone. You can tell someone you trust or contact Adult Social Care on the telephone numbers at the top of this page. Stopping adult abuse is everyone's responsibility and anybody can raise a concern.

    There are different forms of abuse or neglect:
    • Physical abuse - being hit or slapped, being given the wrong medication on purpose, being locked in somewhere, tied up or force fed.
    • Sexual abuse - being touched or kissed when it is not wanted, being made to touch or kiss someone else, being made to watch pornography, being raped, getting something (e.g. gifts or money) as a result of performing sexual acts which a person could not or did not consent to.
    • Emotional abuse - being threatened, not being given choices, being bullied, being deliberately left alone for a long time, being tormented.
    • Financial abuse - having money or personal property stolen, being tricked out of benefits, someone borrowing money and not paying it back, being bullied into letting other people use credit cards or cheques.
    • Neglect - not being given enough to eat or drink, being left in dirty or wet clothes, being given the wrong medication or not being given medication at all, someone not calling a doctor or nurse when help is needed.
    • Discriminatory abuse - ignoring religious beliefs, making comments or jokes about a person's disability, race or sexuality, not providing food to meet dietary requirements.
    • Organisational abuse - repeated instances of poor care or treatment in a service.
    • Domestic abuse - abuse perpetrated by someone who is, or has been, a family member or intimate partner.
    • Self-neglect - when a person is unable to look after themselves meaning that their health, wellbeing or safety is affected.
    • Modern slavery - when a person is forced to work for no money, they may be owned or controlled by an employer or moved from different areas or abroad.
  • What can I do if I am worried about abuse or neglect?

    If you need help or are concerned about someone else then please let us know. You can do this by speaking to someone in person at one of our offices  or via one of the other methods listed here.

    Our staff are trained to ensure that they recognise and respond to your concerns with dignity and respect. They will listen to you and support you by ensuring that you get access to the help needed.

    If you prefer, you can contact Community Health and Social Care Direct 8am - 5pm) by calling 0191 278 8377 or 0191 278 7878 (between 5pm-8am)

    The Social Care team have a duty to make enquiries into the alleged abuse or neglect of adults at risk. Adult Social Care will do this alongside the person who is at risk. and anyone else who is important to them. For information about what to expect from the service please see the website here.