Not all noise will be regarded as anti-social and you should always expect to hear a certain amount of noise from your neighbours, for example:
• children playing;
• everyday domestic noise (such as washing machines, vacuuming);
• dogs barking for brief periods;
• neighbours moving around their property;
• some voice noise (unless this is unreasonably loud or at unreasonable times).
Generally speaking, we will investigate ongoing or persistent noise problems.
Often a quiet word will resolve the issue as your neighbour may not realise they are disturbing you. If this is not the case, we will begin investigating your complaints of noise nuisance and may look to gather evidence to take enforcement action against your neighbour’s tenancy.
The Noise App can be used to record noise nuisance every time there is a problem. This helps us to tackle the problem particularly if we need the evidence to go to court, but it is also very useful to help us show neighbours how they are causing people a problem. This is normally all we need to do to address the problem.
An additional benefit to The Noise App is that it allows you to record problems as they happen instead of using diary sheets. We can then listen to the recordings you have made via a secure website where your recordings will be stored. We will also be able to send secure messages directly to your device, keeping you up to date with our progress investigating your case.
2. Open the app and click ‘Create an account’.
3. Select ‘Your Homes Newcastle’ as your Investigator and then continue to fill in your details to create your account (please note – you will not be able to create an account anonymously, but we will not share your details with anyone)
4. Once you have agreed to the terms of service and clicked ‘Create account’ an email will be sent to your email address asking you to confirm your account Once your account has been confirmed you can begin submitting recordings immediately, following the step by step process on your device. If you do not have a smart phone or tablet, you can still report incidents of noise nuisance through our online reporting form and you will be contacted by one of our officers who will advise you whether or not we are able to take any further action.