For the latest customer information on Coronavirus (COVID-19) click here. We are currently experiencing high call volume.
To help keep our lines free for emergencies, please get in touch using our contact us form

Hide this page

Domestic abuse can affect all members of the community regardless of personal characteristics such as gender, age, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, transgender or religion. It also takes many forms including physical, sexual, financial, emotional and coercive control.

Everyone has the right to live their life free from violence, fear, abuse or neglect. Some groups of people need help to keep themselves safe.  
  • What is domestic abuse?

    Any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are, or have been, intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality. The abuse can be, but is not limited to:

    • Physical violence, for example: slapping, pushing, kicking, stabbing, damage to property or items of sentimental value, attempted murder or murder.
    • Sexual violence, for example: any non-consensual sexual activity, including rape, sexual assault, coercive sexual activity, or refusing safe sex.
    • Restricting freedom, for example: controlling who the victim sees, or where they go, what they wear and what they do, stalking, imprisonment, forced marriage.
    • Emotional/psychological abuse, for example: intimidation, social isolation, verbal abuse, humiliation, constant criticism, enforced trivial routines.
    • Economic abuse, for example: stealing, depriving or taking control of money, running up debts, withholding benefits books or bank cards.
    • Forced Marriage, HBV and FGM

    In March 2015, the Serious Crime Act 2015 created a new offence of controlling or coercive behaviour in intimate or familial relationships. Coercive and/or controlling behaviour are often present in abusive relationships and are described as follows:

    • Coercive behaviour: a continuing act or a pattern of acts of assault, threats, humiliation and intimidation or other abuse that is used to harm, punish, or frighten their victim.
    • Controlling behaviour: a range of acts designed to make a person subordinate and/or dependent by isolating them from sources of support, exploiting their resources and capacities for personal gain, depriving them of the means needed for independence, resistance and escape and regulating their everyday behaviour.

    Behaviours associated with a coercive or controlling relationship (some of which are criminal offences in their own right) and can contribute to the offence include:

    • isolating a person from their friends and family;
    • depriving them of their basic needs and taking control of everyday life such as where a person can go, who they can spend time with, where they can work, travel;
    • repeatedly putting a person down, e.g. telling them that they are worthless;
    • enforcing rules and activity which humiliate, degrade or dehumanise the victim;
    • monitoring a person via online communication tools or using spyware;
    • depriving access to support services, e.g. GP/medical services;
    • controlling finances and access to money;
    • threats to hurt or kill;
    • threats to a child;
    • assault;
    • criminal damage, such as destruction of household goods or belongings

    Domestic abuse can happen to anyone regardless of gender or sexuality. We understand that it can be very difficult to take the first step to get help. If you prefer we can offer you the opportunity to speak to someone of the same gender.

    We can support you to get help and make sure you are not in any danger. Our Tenancy and Estate Officers can give you advice and support and work with other organisations to make sure you get all the support you need.

  • What can YHN do for people experiencing domestic abuse?

    We are committed to acting quickly, effectively and sympathetically to anyone who is experiencing domestic abuse.

    We will:

    • React quickly and effectively to help ensure your safety;
    • Give you appropriate support and practical help and advice including the offer of a confidential meeting with an Tenancy and Estates Officer either at home or in our offices depending on your circumstances.
    • Where appropriate, we will refer you to relevant statutory, voluntary and other agencies to ensure you receive the maximum and most appropriate support for your needs.
    • Be sensitive and understanding to your sitaution especially when exploring possible housing options if it is no longer safe for you to remain at home.
    • Where possible, pursue relevant action against those who are responsible for domestic abuse using the conditions of our Tenancy Agreements
  • I want to stay in my home but I’m afraid

    If you are experiencing domestic abuse and you want to stay in your current home, our Tenancy and Estate Officers can give you support and advice on what you need to do. We can also provide extra security measures to your property to keep you safe in your home.
  • I can’t return home, I need to move

    If you need to be rehoused away from the person who is abusing you, speak to your Tenancy and Estate officer who can give you housing advice and help you obtain alternative safe accommodation. Click here to find out who your tenancy and estates officer is and details on how to contact them.

    If you need urgent assistance outside of office hours then you will be connected to our out of hours service who will be able to provide advice. Alternatively you can contact the Housing Advice Centre out of hours service on: 0191 278 7878

    The police may be able to go with you if you need to get personal belongings from your home.

  • Will my partner know that I’ve asked for help?

    We will never inform the person responsible that we have spoken to you. As your safety is our main concern we will also not take any action against this person without consulting you first.

    We will only take further action if you give us your consent. The only exception to this is if we feel that you or someone else is at significant risk of harm or we are required by law to do so (e.g. to prevent a crime being committed).

    If you make a disclosure to us and would like to speak to someone in person, we can make arrangements to meet you at a safe place and upon your request staff will not arrive in Your Homes Newcastle uniform (you must make sure that you mention this when requesting an appointment as staff wear uniform as standard).

  • Cover your tracks online

    Cover your tracks online If you’re worried that someone may see what you have been looking at online there’s a few things you can do to minimise the chances of them finding out. You can delete your browser history. Click on the links below for whichever browser you use for instructions on how to do it.

    Please remember that although clearing your history minimises the chances of someone knowing what websites you have visited there are other means of finding this out if you have the knowhow. The safest way to access sites if you want to be completely sure of not being tracked online is to use a computer at a local library, an internet cafe, a friend's house or at work.

  • Are there any other organisations that can help me ?

    For a full list of agencies in Newcastle including information on how to contact them and the services they offer please click on the following link: DVA Services in Newcastle  
  • I am concerned that someone I know is experiencing abuse, what should I do?

    We all have a responsibility to help protect other people from harm. If you are concerned that someone you know is experiencing domestic abuse then you can either speak in confidence to your Tenancy and Estate officer or contact NIDAS on 0191 214 6501. Remember if you think that someone is at immediate risk of harm then call the police on 999. HIDE THIS PAGE