The following are allowed a bedroom:
- Every adult couple
- Any other adult aged 16 or over
- Any two children of the same sex aged under 16
- Any two children regardless of sex aged under 10
- Any other child aged under sixteen
- A foster carer
- Adult child in the Armed Forces
- Disabled children who are unable to share a bedroom
- If you have one extra bedroom you will receive 14% less (e.g. if your rent is £60 a week you will lose £8.40)
- If you have two or more extra bedrooms you will receive around 25% less (if your rent is £60 a week you will lose £15)
The changes affect those people who are claiming Housing Benefit and are of working age (people above working age will not be affected but please check with your Tenancy & Estate Officer as there are some exceptions).
If you move onto Universal Credit and are under occupying your home, you will still be affected and the housing element of your Universal Credit payment will be reduced.