benefit-changes-logo-rgb-b_v_Variation_1In April 2013 the Social Fund, run by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP), came to an end. Local authorities, including Newcastle City Council, have set up replacement schemes instead. The two parts of the Social Fund – Crisis Loans and Community Care Grants – have been replaced.

Crisis Loans were intended to cover immediate short term needs that arise because of a disaster or emergency. Community Care Grants were intended to support vulnerable people to remain in or return to the community.

The new scheme is Supporting Independence Scheme. Click below for further information on this scheme.

  • Supporting Independence Scheme

    Supported Independence Scheme replaces the Community Care Grant scheme. It is available to help you if you are on a low income and need to:

    • resettle in the community following a stay in an institution
    • remain in the community rather than enter an institution, or
    • set up home in the community, as part of a planned resettlement programme, following an unsettled way of life