benefit-changes-logo-rgb-b_v_Variation_1Tenants who have a non-dependent person living with them will receive a reduction in their Housing Benefit. This takes effect from 1 April 2013.

Check out our frequently asked questions below for further information:

  • What do you mean by non-dependent?

    A non-dependent person is someone, over the age of 18, who lives in your home with you and your family. This could be a grown up son or daughter or elderly relatives for example.

    A non-dependent person is not a partner. It is someone who is not dependent on the tenant, a joint tenant, someone who pays the tenant to live there, or a carer for the tenant.

    There are some exceptions to this – if you're not sure please contact your Tenancy & Estate Officer and speak to an Advice and Support Worker to find out if you have a non-dependent person living with you.

  • What are non-dependent deductions?

    This is where the amount of Housing Benefit you receive is reduced because you have a non-dependent person living in your home.

  • How much is the deduction?

    The amount deducted from your benefits depends on the circumstances of the non-dependent person such as whether they claim benefits, whether they work more than 16 hours a week and what their gross income is (before tax and National Insurance).

    Due to the complex nature of these rules we recommend you contact one of our advice and support workers for further advice.

  • Are all dependents included?

    Sometimes a non-dependent can be ignored from a Housing Benefit claim. Examples include (but are not limited to):

    • a full-time student
    • where the person claiming Housing Benefit is also receiving the middle or high rate Disability Living Allowance Care component
    • has been in hospital for over 52 weeks
    • is in prison