For the latest customer information on Coronavirus (COVID-19) click here. We are currently experiencing high call volume.
To help keep our lines free for emergencies, please get in touch using our contact us form

Under the Data Protection Act 2018 you have a right to ask to see the personal information (known as personal data) we hold about you and ordinarily the right to have a copy provided to you or someone else on your behalf.  A request to see this information is known as a ‘subject access request’ (“SAR”). The answers to some frequently asked questions, including how to make a SAR can be found below:
  • How long will it take for you to provide the information I have requested?

    We will seek to provide you with the information you have asked for within one month, however, if the work involved is particularly complex or if numerous requests are made then we may extend this period. In this case, we will always inform you about the extension and clearly explain the reasons why. The data provided to you will be a copy of the information we hold that relates to you, this will not generally include information about your property, for example, repairs logs or contractor visits, as this is unlikely to constitute your ‘personal data’. However, should you wish to receive this, please clearly state this in your request.
  • How will I receive your response to my Subject Access Request?

    The information will be provided in a concise, transparent and easily accessible way. It may be provided in writing, or by other means, including, where appropriate, by electronic means and dependent on your preferred method.
  • What will we do on receipt of your request?

    When we receive a subject access request we will first check that we have enough information to be certain of your identity in order to safeguard it. Often we will have no reason to doubt a person’s identity, for example, if we have regularly corresponded with you. However, if we have good cause to doubt your identity we can ask you to provide any evidence we reasonably need to confirm your identity. Examples may include asking you to provide identification such as your tenancy agreement, utility bills, driving licence etc.
  • Will there be a charge?

    YHN will usually provide a copy of the information requested free of charge. However, we can charge a ‘reasonable fee’ when a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive, particularly if it is repetitive. We may also charge a reasonable fee to comply with requests for further copies of the same information. This does not mean that we will charge for all subsequent access requests. The fee charged will be based on the administrative cost of providing the information. In the unlikely event of a charge being applied we will always notify you first before processing your request.
  • How do I make a Subject Access Request?

    Please email with details of the personal data you are requesting together with your name and address and clearly setting out the information that you require and how you would to like to receive it. If you require specific information, it is helpful if this is clear in your request, for example, information from a particular time period or about a specific correspondence. You can also write to us: Governance and Implementation Team (SAR) YHN House Benton Park Road Newcastle Upon Tyne NE7 7LX
  • Can YHN refuse a Subject Access Request?

    There are a number of exemptions to our duty to disclose personal data and we may seek legal advice if we consider that they might apply. An example of an exemption is information that might be covered by legal professional privilege. In the event of YHN refusing your Subject Access Request based on an exemption we will contact you and clearly set the reasons for our decision.
  • What if I'm not happy with your response?

    If you are not satisfied by our actions, you can let us know via our internal complaints procedure. If you remain dissatisfied, you have the right to refer the matter to the Information Commissioner.