For the latest customer information on Coronavirus (COVID-19) click here. We are currently experiencing high call volume.
To help keep our lines free for emergencies, please get in touch using our contact us form

If you’re worried about yourself or someone you know becoming homeless, what happens next depends on your age. The first step is to contact the Housing Advice Centre if you have nowhere to stay tonight.

We try to find everyone somewhere safe to stay; sometimes this is by arranging for them to stay at home or with a family member. Sometimes it might be local authority care, in supported accommodation or with another service in Newcastle or the North East.  We’ll always try to make sure that you are safe and comfortable with where you stay and that there’s a plan for what happens next.

  • What do we do?

    We provide a responsive service to 16-17 year olds presenting at the Homeless Advice Centre (HAC) as homeless and assess all applications for 16 and 17 year olds applying to Tyne and Wear Homes who wish to live in Newcastle.

    This involves:

    • assessing their need for assistance with housing
    • offering support and intervention with the family to maintain the young person in their home
    • referring to appropriate accommodation or tenancy and Floating Support.
  • How do we do it?

    • A member of the team is available in the Housing Advice Centre each afternoon.
    • All 16-17 year olds are assessed using Common Assessment Framework.
    • If a 16-17 year old is likely to need to be accommodated in emergency or temporary accommodation we would discuss their situation with the Initial Response Service in Children's Social Care to agree if a joint assessment is required.The Young Peoples Service homeless Prevention team  work in partnership with Initial Response Service in Children Social Care  to work together to provide a consistent and coordinated response to 16 – 17 year old young people who present as homeless and/or are in need of accommodation and accommodation support services.  The aim is to ensure integrated pathways for referral, assessment and access to accommodation and housing support services, and aims to make the most effective use of existing resources.
    • Home visits are made offering preventative work such as mediation.
    • Referral to the most appropriate accommodation/tenancy is made following assessment (welfare priority if appropriate) if a return home is not feasible.
  • Who do we work with?

    We work with voluntary sector youth agencies, Newcastle City Council Customer Service Centres, YHN Community Housing Offices, statutory and voluntary agencies and health agencies.

    We are funded by Supporting People to work with young people and statutory and voluntary agencies (including housing, health, education and training and employment providers) to ensure the holistic needs of young people are met.

  • How to make a referral?

    The young person must be 16 or 17 years old and in housing need.

    Self referral can be made by:


  • Newcastle Gateways

    Further information is available from the Newcastle Gateways section of the Newcastle City Council website