Building and contents insurance

Building and contents insurance

We arrange the buildings insurance cover under a blanket policy for all our leasehold properties.

The insurance runs from 1 April to 31 March and the premium is based on the cost of rebuilding your flat. Please make sure that your mortgage lender is happy with the sum your property is insured for. We can increase it if necessary.

If you let out your flat or leave it empty for more than 30 days you must let us know as this could affect your insurance cover and premium and could make your policy invalid if you were to make a claim.

If you are sub-letting your property there are certain things that the buildings insurance will no longer cover. This means that you will need to arrange your own insurance for the things that our policy no longer covers.

home contents

Building insurance policy

The policy is with Zurich Municipal; policy number QLA-08G032-0363. 

What does the buildings insurance cover?

  • Cover whilst selling your home
  • Loss of rent and alternative accommodation
  • Emergency entry to your home
  • Legal fees following occupation by squatters
  • Replacement locks

What isn’t included in buildings insurance?

If damage occurs which is not caused by an insured hazard then the insurer would not make a payment, even if it is not specifically excluded. Below are some examples of events not covered by the policy:

  • Wear and tear
  • Parts of the building reaching the end of their useful life (for example, a flat roof)
  • Routine repairs and maintenance (for example, clearing drains and gutters, external decorations)
  • Loss or damage to your contents and personal belongings

Make a claim

Contact us for a claim form or download the claim form. You will need to send your completed form to Please keep a copy for your records.

If you have an enquiry about a claim please contact Zurich Municipal on 0800 028 0336. This is a dedicated 24 hour emergency line which you can ring in emergency situations. You can also email

You need to submit your claim form as soon as possible after the incident has occurred and if the damage was caused by theft or attempted theft, or from malicious damage, tell the police immediately and get a crime reference number.

To help the insurers deal with your claim you must provide them with the additional information they require including proof of ownership photographs, purchase receipts, or instructional leaflets, details of the make and model of items. 

The policy number is QLA-08G032-0363.

Contents insurance

Many leaseholders believe that the council automatically insures their furniture, belongings and decorations against fire, theft, vandalism or water damage such as burst pipes - this is not the case. You are responsible for insuring the contents of your home.

Your Homes Newcastle strongly advises all leaseholders to take out household contents insurance. If you do not take out a contents insurance policy please consider if you would be able to replace your possessions if they were stolen in a burglary or damaged by a fire, flood or accident.

You can insure the contents of your home with any insurance company. But, to make it easier and more affordable for you, YHN and Newcastle City Council have worked with Royal & Sun Alliance to design a scheme just for YHN leaseholders. It’s a simple and affordable scheme which covers your furniture, belongings and decorations for a low weekly fee.

Leaseholders who sub-let their property are not eligible to join the scheme. You can find out more on our home contents insurance page.

Need more information?

The Leasehold Advisory Service also provides free advice to Leaseholders and offers a mediation service to help resolve disputes without the need to go to court.  If you filed a complaint with us and were unsatisfied with the outcome, you can approach the Leasehold Advisory Service for advice on the situation.

Telephone: 020 7832 2500


Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?