So far, over 40 Newcastle–based charities and community organisations have received donations from the fund. Activities have ranged from supporting new mothers with baby clothing, goody bags for children, ‘grow your own’ planting kits, and online boxing coaching classes.
Sporting Chance received funding to buy boxing kits so young people could take part in virtual boxing classes via social media during lockdown.
Jamie Cairns, Sporting Chance’s Managing Director, said: “Covid-19 hit our community very hard. It was great to see YHN being so proactive and supporting our project to keep as many of our young people active as we can. The funding helped us buy equipment and take the sessions online. YHN has helped to keep their tenants and the wider community active through the Community Spirit grant”.
How to apply
- Community groups and organisations that work with YHN customers can apply.
- The money can be spent on buying resources and materials such as games, school equipment and puzzle books for families, or perhaps jigsaws for those at risk of becoming lonely.
- We can provide a donation of up to £250 towards each project.
- We can’t transfer money to individuals, so you must have an organisational bank account.
- There are some restrictions on how the funding can be spent, but get in touch for a chat and we can talk through your ideas.
- Text the name of the charity/organisation with the words ‘YHN Community Spirit Fund’ to 07971044463 and Jill or Emily will ring you back.