For the latest customer information on Coronavirus (COVID-19) click here. We are currently experiencing high call volume.
To help keep our lines free for emergencies, please get in touch using our contact us form
We are working closely with Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service in relation to an incident at Cruddas Park House at 11.00pm on Monday November 20.
Thankfully no one was injured or hurt as a result of this incident, and we would like to thank the tenants for their swift action in evacuating the building, and of course the fire service for their attendance.
We believe the fire originated in a bin chute, however a full investigation is now underway to determine exactly what happened.
Smoke alarms went off in the individual flats directly affected by the smoke. In upper floors, smoke was contained within communal areas and passageways due to compartmentalisation, therefore those residents were not immediately affected by this incident, and were safe from immediate danger and free from smoke inhalation in their homes.
As a precautionary measure, a small number of tenants did receive checks by paramedics at the scene, and thankfully no-one needed further treatment.
Our staff were on the scene during the night to support emergency services, and again first thing on Tuesday morning to provide support to residents and to answer any questions.
We appreciate that residents may feel worried, but we would like to reassure our customers that fire safety is our utmost priority, and we have put a number of measures in place to increase the safety of all of our multi-storey blocks. Our staff will be in the block today (Wednesday 22 November) to reassure customers and answer any questions you still have about Monday’s incident.
Smoke alarms in individual flats are checked through our annual testing programme, and more recently through our programme of work with Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service following the Grenfell disaster. In addition, we work closely with the fire service to offer home safety visits, and would advise anyone who feels unsafe or believes their fire safety equipment is not working, to contact us as a matter of urgency.
We are continuing to invest in other fire safety measures, and will continue to work closely with residents. We have a dedicated team that can help you with any questions related to this. You can contact them directly on 0191 278 8574 or email firstname.lastname@example.org