Sheltered Housing - What we do
We provide specialist, personal assistance every step of the way: from looking for the right home for you, to supporting you to live independently once you're there.
Before your move
Our specialist staff will help you find the right property for you in a sheltered housing scheme in the right location.
- We will guide you through the application process and offer you an accompanied viewing of the property and communal facilities.
- We will introduce you to your Sheltered Housing Officer who will provide advice and support throughout your tenancy.
- We will give and advice and support on the practicalities of moving home, such as managing your money and checking benefit entitlements. See details of our special offer here.
During your move
You'll move into a fully decorated property and you'll also have the option for new carpets, curtains and bed at low cost.
After your move
- We will give you a tenant information pack which tells you about our service and other service provided by Your Homes Newcastle.
- We will visit you within a week of your move to check everything is OK.
Throughout your tenancy
- Your Sheltered Housing Officer will provide advice and support to help you live independently - we offer a "one-stop-shop" approach.
- We will provide a safe and secure environment for you to live in, and support you with 24-hour Mobile Warden responses if you need emergency help. Click here for more information.
- We will help you make rent payments and take care of other housing management services such as repairs and maintenance.
- We will work together with health and social care agencies to ensure your needs are met.
- You will be invited to get involved with decisions about your home and your services.
- You will be invited to join in with social activites and events in your scheme and other places in your area and across the city.
How much does sheltered housing cost?
As well as paying the rent for your flat, you'll pay an additional sheltered housing charge. You can choose from 2 packages:
Gold Service: £12.13 per week
This is for the warden service with 24 hour mobile warden emergency response, plus an additional 2 pieces of telecare equipment
Gold Service Plus: £17.38 per week
As above but with an additional 5 pieces of telecare equipment
Read about our sheltered housing schemes
Go back to the Sheltered Housing home page