How to make a complaint or compliment


Making a complaint

Our commitment to listening to customers doesn’t stop when they think we’ve done something wrong.  YHN has an accessible complaints process so customers can make us aware of a failure in our service by letting any YHN officer know either face to face, by telephone, or through our web site, email or digi-tv.  If a customer remains unhappy with our service they can make a formal complaint

You can make a complaint or compliment about Your Homes Newcastle by completing a complaints and compliments form online or via our App

What information you will need to tell us so we can respond to your complaint

  • Your name
  • Your contact details
  • What is the problem
  • What you would like us to do to put things right

How we will resolve your complaint

  • We will send you an acknowledgement letter within 2 working days informing you of who will be investigating your complaint
  • We will do our best to treat the information you give us in confidence and treat your complaint fairly
  • We will try to resolve your complaint within 10 working days.  However, if it is more complex then we may need longer to investigate the issue but we will keep you updated
  • Once we have responded to your complaint we will look to see what we can learn from your experience

What would be classed as a complaint

  • YHN  do not deliver a service on time
  • YHN give you the wrong information
  • The customer receives poor quality of service
  • The customer is not happy with a member of staff in some way
  • The customer believes the information we hold on them is inaccurate

Newcastle City Council has their own complaints process for the services they provide.  For example:

  • Refuse collection
  • Street Parking
  • Pest Control

If you are experiencing anti-social behavior, please contact YHN’s Housing Anti-Social Behavior Enforcement Team.

When should you use the complaints procedure?

If something goes wrong with a service we are providing you should contact us straight away and we will try and resolve your issue.

If you are still unhappy, then you can make a formal complaint. Please note we cannot deal with complaints relating to issues which are month than six months old. 

You can tell us in person, by phone, by letter or by using our online Complaints and Compliments form.

Please contact us at:

Central Administration Team
YHN House
Benton Park Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
Phone: 0191 278 8600 

Please ask a member of staff if you need help to write your complaint or to fill in the form.  If you prefer, a friend or relative can fill in the form for you.

Complaints Performance 2014-15

In 2014-15 we received 598 complaints.  492 complaints were responded to on time (within 10 working days).  The remainder 106 complaints were either withdrawn or passed to NCC to Investigate.

Nature of complaint                                   Received

Poor quality of service                                350

Complaint about a member of staff            74

Delay in providing service                          122

Dissatisfaction with policy                           49

Other                                                            3

323 of the complaints received YHN agreed we had not delivered a good service and took action to put the situation right for the customer.  Customers are able to appeal the outcome of their formal complaint by approaching Newcastle City Council who will investigate their complaint independently.  Over the year, 44 appeals were received and the council agreed that YHN had done wrong in 9 cases. 

In 2013-14 we had 4 cases with the Ombudsman.  Two cases were not investigated due to out of jurisdiction and two cases are still ongoing.

How will we deal with your complaints?

Our complaints process has been written following consultation with customers and follows the principles as laid out in the Localism Act 2011.

Step 1 – Formal Complaint

At this stage you should put your complaint in writing. 

Where your complaint is justified and you have suffered stress, inconvenience or suffered a loss, you may be entitled to some compensation.

Please refer to our compensation and claims leaflet available from any YHN Housing Services Office, Customer Service Centre or by phoning 0191 278 8600.

Step 2 – Escalated Complaint

If you have been through step one and are not happy with the results of our investigations, you can make a complaint to Newcastle City Council.

Write to Complaints at Newcastle Corporate Services, Newcastle City Council, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH, email: or telephone on 0191 278 7878 and ask for 'complaints'.

Newcastle City Council will investigate your complaint independently and will write to you within three working days to let you know:

  • they are reviewing your complaint
  • approximately how long it will take to investigate
  • when you will receive a written response

Escalating your complaint to an external organization

The Local Government Ombudsman

Any complaints relating to the management of the Allocations and Lettings Policy that YHN manage on behalf of Newcastle City Council can be referred to the Local Government Ombudsman.

You can contact the Local Government Ombudsman at PO Box 4771, Coventry, CV4 0EH,
online at or telephone: 0300 061 0614.

All other complaints about the services that YHN deliver should follow the process below.

The Designated Person

If you have completed both steps of YHN’s complaints process you can contact a designated person to request a review of your complaint. A designated person is any local councilor or any MP. Newcastle City Council’s website will tell you who your councilors and MP’s are. Visit

The designated person can act on your behalf to review your complaint with YHN. At the end of a review the designated person can make recommendations to YHN; however they have no powers to enforce their recommendations. The only legally defined power that the designated person has is to refer a complaint to the Independent Housing Ombudsman.

The Housing Ombudsman Service

The Ombudsman Service is an independent body which deals with disputes between social landlords and their tenants. You can contact the service directly without approaching a designate person if you wait for a period of eight weeks after your complaint has been closed at Step 2 of YHN’s procedure. Or you can ask a designated person to refer you to the Ombudsman.

You can contact the Housing Ombudsman Service at 81 Aldwych, London, WC2B 4HN
or email or telephone: 0300 111 3000.


If you have a specific complaint about your service charges you can appeal to:

Leasehold Valuation Tribunal (LVT)
Residential Property Tribunal Service,
1st Floor,
5 New York Street,
M1 4JB

Phone: 0845 100 2614 or 0161 237 9491
Fax: 0161 237 3656

Complaints about Data Protection and Freedom of Information

If you have been through our internal complaints process you can appeal to The Information Commissioner’s Office at Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
or online: or telephone: 0303 123 1113

What is a compliment?

A compliment is when you tell us you are happy.  For example if:

  • We deliver a service on time
  • We give you the correct information
  • You receive a good or excellent quality of service
  • You want to praise or highlight the service given to you by a member of staff

How do I make a compliment?

You can make a compliment in person, by phone, by letter, or by using our online Complaints and Compliments form.

How we will deal with your compliments

When you make a compliment we will write to you within 10 working days to tell you how we will use this to improve our services.

When you make a compliment we will write to you within 10 working days to tell you how we will use this to improve our services