Adaptations - Service Standards
What is the adaptations service?
We adapt the homes of Newcastle City Council tenants who have
been assessed by Social Services as needing adaptations to their
To see if you can have your home adapted, you
should contact Social Services. First, they will carry out an
assessment over the phone to see what type of help you need. The
Equipment Direct team will assess if you can manage with minor
If you need a more major adaptation a member of the occupational
therapy team will visit you at home to assess your needs and any
work that is required. They will then refer you to us for the work
to be carried out.
We will try to meet your needs with the appropriate equipment or
adaptations. If this is not possible, we may offer to move you to a
more suitable property.
Visit Adaptations to
find out more about the service.
After someone has been referred to us, we will provide:
- consultation before we carry out any adaptation work;
- support during the works, where needed: for more complex works
we will discuss with you, and offer any assistance you may need
such as respite care or temporary re-housing;
- aftercare when the work is finished.
Examples of adaptations we can provide:
- Stair lifts for clients having difficulties getting upstairs to
go to the toilet or bathroom
- Ceiling track hoists where carers are having problems moving
and handling clients
- Metal deck ramps, permanent ramps, vertical lifts or low-level
kitchens for clients who use wheelchairs
- Shower units or level-access showers where clients have bathing
What can I expect from the service?
- We aim to deliver adaptations at the right quality and
- We will involve you in all aspects of designing and delivering
- We will provide a co-ordinated service with Social Services,
housing and technical staff, and contractors.
- We will deliver a responsive customer-focused service,
providing value for money and high levels of customer
- We will use leaflets and posters to tell you about our service.
These will be available in Community Housing Offices and Customer
- We will make sure all our staff are aware of the service and
what it can do.
- We will make sure that you receive notice of when work will be
carried out to your home.
When we are working on your home, we will:
- protect you and your home by making sure our contractors work
carefully and safely;
- respect you and your home while the work is going on;
- make sure that everyone visiting your home carries
- keep any disruption and inconvenience to a minimum; and
- make sure our contractors clean up after themselves at the end
of each day.
We will keep our appointments with you and let you know if we
are running late. We will always give you the name and phone
number of the person to contact if you have any questions or
problems about the work to your home.
Our service standards
- We will send a welcome letter to all of our new clients within
28 days of receiving a referral from Adult and
- We will achieve a 90% customer satisfaction rate for the work
carried out to the homes of our customers.
Adaptations Service Service Standards